I got a call from CG Services this morning looking for Robert #####.Told them I was not him, didn't know him, but had been receiving calls from yet another collection agency looking for him.

Apparently, I have his old cell number, but they didn't care. The girl there kept asking "well, don't you know how we can reach him?..." Finally, I called their corporate office in Houston and spoke with someone claiming to be in the legal department. Told her I kept getting calls from them but was NOT who they were looking for... that I apparently had gotten his old cell number earlier this year.

She seem less than interested until I told her I would SUE the *** off of GC Services if they continued harassing me... and to cease and desist immediately. Funny thing is, when I gave her my cell number, she rattled off the people who they were looking for.

I also wrote a letter to them today telling them I was not who they were looking for, gave them my number, to cease and desist calling me, and told them one more phone call from them would result in me contacting the authorities and a lawyer to sue their *** off!I don't even owe anyone money, yet I'm still an innocent victim of these modern day legalized gangsters!

Had an Experience with Gc Services?

Comments

Same thing here.They never once identified themselves as debt collectors which violates federal law.

I told them I was not who they were looking for and that I was going to file a complaint with the FTC. They guy gave me his supervisor. We went through the same thing.

He was really upset.Nice to turn it around once in awhile.

to po***oman Chicago, Illinois, United States #852875

Hi Poconoman - You're right.When a collection agency communicates with a debtor, the collector must state it's an attempt to a collect a debt.

However, if you are not the debtor, then GC does not have to give this disclosure. GC does need to properly disclosure itself by name, though, during all telephone calls.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.Thanks, Mike Agruss

Chicago, Illinois, United States #835231

You're not the only consumer harassed over a debt they don't owe.I hear this story all of the time from people.

Especially with today's technology. Collection agencies skip trace numbers, enter the numbers in dialers, and robocall people all day long. I hope GC finally stopped calling you after you told them on the phone, and in writing, that you're not the debtor and to stop calling.

Keep in mind that you have rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.You also have rights under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act because GC was harassing you on your cell phone.

totally understand. cuz they've been doing it to me too.

to rld Chicago, Illinois, United States #835233

Hi RLD, as I mentioned above, collection agencies are notorious for calling non-debtors.You are protected under a federal law called the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

If a collection agency is calling you over a debt you don't owe, send them a cease and desist letter.

Plus, answer the phone, tell them you're not the debt, and request the calls to stop.Hopefully, that will solve the problem.